Bake Sale 1 {W}

May 29, 2013

Easter and the Duomo


April 3, 2013

Mission Home Missionaries in front of the Duomo in Milan



Sidenote: while writing this letter, I was asked my an older Italian man to help him upload a picture to facebook. After explaining about 5 times that I can't use it, he said, "Its okay, you just need to show me how to get a picture from email to facebook." He then offered my companion and I a drink, haha. Oh the joys of being an American in these crazy internet cafes. Love it. 

I had the most amazing Easter Sunday!!! It started with a train ride in some beautiful misty mountains to the station of Lomazzo, a city in the suburbs of Como. We rode to church just as the sun was coming up over the mountains and the lake. It was gorgeous. Us and the sun are just never in Como on the same days, so it was a treat. Church was beautiful. Vescovo (bishop) Cusin shared an incredible testimony of the restored gospel and the necessity to share it with everyone. We talked about Christ in Gospel Principles. I was touched by the testimonies that were shared. All the investigators and new converts are supposed to go to gospel principles, so the lessons are supposed to be really basic and general. I have noticed that it is in gopsel principles when I feel my testimony growing. And when I say feeling, I mean seriously feeling. The testimonies that are shared in that class are so pure and real. They are fresh. They are testimonies that are growing every minute as they live this "new life" with the gospel. I am in love. 

After church, we met with our ward mission leader, who is AMAZING. He and his wife are so supportive of the misisonaries. He is willing to do ANYTHING to help move missionary work along in this ward. We were able to talk about how to help our members be more prepared to do missionary work with us. It made both Sorella McCann and me super excited to get going. There is so much to do here and we are SO ready. 

We had a lunch appointment with an Italian family. And oh boy, it was as Italian as it gets!! The Corteggiano family is from Sicily, so they eat, talk, and act like southern Italians. I LOVED IT. There was a lot of laughing, talking/yelling, and eating. There was food being passed around from one side of the table to the other. There were yummy appetizers of olives, tomatoes, eggplants, cheese, and bread. Then, we had canneloni with spinach for the second meal. We then had so GREAT BBQ. Everything from Italian sausage to pork chops. Oh. My. Gosh. I loved it. There was another family with us that is from Switzerland (but the Italian part), so they made some great cake with Swiss chocolate for dessert. I know this description of dinner doesn't even come close to reality...but it's the best I can do. I guess you had to be there, haha.

The day after Easter is called Pasquetta. They basically do the same thing they did on Easter, but it is more casual. We went to the church for a BBQ, but supposedly, everyone is supposed to bring their own food. So, there is a family that brought us some yummy PERUVIAN food. I was in heaven. we had some papa alla juancaina, with hotdogs, chips, and then, to top it all off, a devil's chocolate cake made by one of our American friends who is investigating the church. WOW. We are SO well taken care of. We talked and ate, and just enjoyed being with our members. We actually also had a lesson with an amazing girl named Anabel who is a former investigator.She is so ready to learn more about how the gospel can change her life. I hope to tell you more about her later. She has potential. Anyway, I wish I could explain how great the members are here. During the bbq, there were so many people in the room, and all of them look out for one another. Vescovo Cusin has 7 kids, but still, he was walking around with a plate of steak offering it to every person in the room. They share EVERYTHING.

Yesterday, we were able to go to a member's house for lunch. They are an older couple with three older kids all grown up and out of the house. Fratello and Sorella Sammaciccia. They are the best. They served a mission in 2002, but they are the kind of missionaries that will be missionaries for life. They are full of love for the gospel. You see it when you talk to them. You see the love they have for the church that changed their lives. Their testimonies are so strong and firm. 

AAANnnd, that Italian man I mentioned earlier keeps trying to ask if he can buy us a pizza as I am writing. Mamma mia.......

I am reading in the Romans right now. I read Romans 6:23 this morning, and two things hit me. It says  23 For the awages of bsin is cdeath; but the dgift of God is eeternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord....

Alright, are you ready for my thoughts??!

As I was reading, I saw "wages vs. gift" and realized that wages are EARNED. So, when you sin, you are earning death...BUT, a gift is something given out of love and concern. It is something that you can recieve whether you are worthy or not. Christ doesn't expect us to EARN eternal life. He already paid for it. Now, we have to live worthy of it!!! Be GRATEFUL, not GUILTY: When you recieve a gift you are not worthy for, you can't fully enjoy it. 

Anyway, I just wanted to share that with you. I LOVE the bible.

Okay, we are off to Milano! We're hiking the Duomo today if it doesn't cost too much. We're also eating at this yummy yummy place called Luini's and then eating gelato at Ciocolat. I am in LOVE with life as an Italy Milan missionary!!! 

LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!! Time is flying by so fast.

Sorella Beus

No comments:

Post a Comment