We had to wait a loooong time but we finally got Katie’s first email from Italy – August 29, 2012
Bergamo, dove i cieli sono blu… sempre
Translation:
Bergamo…. Where the sky is blue… always

| Their Apartment |
| Katie's Workspace |
SALVE! (Hello…)
So, what to tell you about Bergamo... Bergamo is GORGEOUS! Have you googled it? My companion says everyday, "Ah Bergamo, where the skies are always, always blue..." I love it. It is so true. We run from our apartment to Città Alta (medieval plaza) at least 4 times a week in the morning. Ah...so pretty. We watch the sun rising over the mountains (we are right at the foot of the Swiss Alps) and over the beautiful city and I just can't believe I'm here! It is wonderful.
In Bergamo, there are a lot of bikes and Bolivians. I feel that we (meaning S.lla Padula) speak more Spanish with our investigators than Italian! Haha. I keep asking myself why I prayed so hard to forget Spanish so I could remember Italian, and NOW I need Spanish, haha. Oh life. It's great. I love the lessons. The people here are really special. They truly have desire to learn about the gospel and progress. It's a wonderful thing! Our investigators are so diligent and brave. The branch is incredibly strong. I love them. They are like a family! It is so beautiful to see this much strength in the church. The gospel is such a blessing and I am loving the opportunity to see it change lives!
You know how when you watch missionary movies, you never think that stuff actually happens?! Well, it DOES! Who knew? I have so many embarrassing stories already, but each one was worth it. We are riding bikes every day... Mom, remember when I was getting ready and I said that I would probably never have to ride a bike? Heavenly Father sure fooled me! We had only been in Bergamo for 2 hours when we had an appointment and S.lla Padula says that we need to get there quickly because we're running late. We go down the stairs, and lo and behold, she points to the bikes. I wish so badly we could have recorded my first time on a bike in about 4 or 5 years. Not only that! My bike is a "man bike." I have no dignity when it comes to getting on and off that thing. Every time, something funny happens. One time at a stoplight, I went to rest my available foot on the curb, and I didn't realize there wasn't a curb there! As I was trying to catch myself, my other ankle scratched against the "half pedals" that are barely existing. I start to bleed immediately. S.lla Padula asks if I'm okay, and I tell her that I’m okay...but kind of not, haha. She sees the bleeding and says, "Oh...you're fine. Let's go!" So I'm feeling blood run down my leg and fill up my shoe and all this time we are riding as quick as we can to our appointment. When we get there, I am SOAKING WET! No joke. It is SOOOOO warm and humid here!!! As Gloria (our member friend) is getting us some water, I ask her about my leg, and she looks down and jumps back a little bit, haha. Then she so kindly gets me stuff to clean it and all was well after that. Great first impression, right?!
I didn't even think about buying mosquito repellant. I mean, only nice, friendly, and harmless insects exist in Italy, right?! The morning after my first night in Bergamo, I counted 45 mosquito bites from the waist down! It was hilarious. The members tell me that the reason I have so many is because Americans have white, sensitive skin. I would have to say that I fit that description perfectly! Yay.
I got lost for the first time two days ago. S.lla Padula is SO fast on her bike! She keeps telling me that I'll get used to it, and slowly but surely, I am starting to keep up and know my way around. Sometimes, I get stuck at a stoplight and have to hurry to catch up. This time, I get to a street where there are a few ways to turn and I don't see my companion! It was so sad, haha. At first, I started laughing at myself, and then I was frustrated, and then I started crying...and then I said a prayer. In the MTC, they say to NEVER leave your companion, so I felt horrible and guilty...but then I realized that I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints, and Heavenly Father is on our side! We don't need to feel alone! So I just waited there for about what seemed like 20 minutes, and eventually my companion found me. Great experience. Never want it to happen again, but it was fun while it lasted!
Sorella Padula is AMAZING! She is talented in EVERY way. I love it. She is from Argentina. Everyone loves her. She is pretty young in the mission too! Only 6 months in. She is a great trainer. This is a new thing for the both of us and I just pray all the time to be able to do the best we can. We're doing really well, but any extra prayers would help. The language barrier makes it kind of hard for me and for her.
Love you all!!!
Sorella Beus
P.S. I adore the letters, pictures, and prayers. I could NOT do this without your support. Thank you for EVERYTHING!!


No comments:
Post a Comment