Typical example of how the MTC builds strong testimonies and strengthens missionaries. This is from one of Katie's first letters home:
This past week it seems like the
theme at the MTC was Joseph Smith. On Sunday, the MTC fireside speaker was Ted
Gibbons, who is a CES employee. We started the meeting by singing “A Poor
Wayfaring Man of Grief.” All of us were excited to hear him speak, and we were
even more excited when he got up in clothing from the 1800s and began a
dialogue “as” Willard Richards. He seriously used no notes or prompts,
and became Willard. He
started from the first time he heard of Joseph Smith and told of his
experiences meeting him. He told every story between that and the night after
Joseph Smith is killed and the guard comes in to let Willard go. It was
phenomenal. By the end, everyone was crying. I had never doubted Joseph Smith,
but I feel like I had never given him much thought. At the end of the
monologue, my heart was so full of gratitude and love for Joseph Smith and his
sacrifice. We closed the fireside by singing “Praise to the Man.” Words cannot
express how neat it was. Within seconds of starting the song, every
Elder and Sister was on their feet, (& let me tell ya, there are A LOT
of us) singing with so much sincerity and love and confidence. I will never look
at that song the same. I don’t think there are a lot of better things in the MTC than singing with a couple thousand
missionaries. You can’t help but feel overwhelmed with the Spirit. It was
wonderful.


No comments:
Post a Comment