Bake Sale 1 {W}

June 26, 2013

Typical Katie... thinks to thank her MTC teachers




Katie wrote this letter to her MTC teachers and then forwarded it to us: 
I don't know if you remember me, ma non importa. I have been meaning to write you all and give you a little update on the mission! AND, I wanted to thank you ALL for everything you taught us.

SO, I started the mission in Bergamo. "Oh Bergamo...where the skies are always blue." My trainer was from Argentina and is THE most sacred missionary I have ever met. We only spoke in Italian for the two transfers we were together. So, I kind of learned Italian... although I had my doubts. I LOVED my time there with Sorella Padula. We spent a whole lot of time outside talking to Bolivians in parks. I was able to witness the conversion of two wonderful people, Stephen and Patrisia. One is African, and the other from Ecuador. They will forever have a part of my heart for how much they taught me about sacrifice and diligence.

Then, in my 3rd transfer, I was sent to open Firenze to sisters again. SUCH a neat city. I spent three tranfers there with two different sisters. I was reading through my journal the other day, and I had described it as the refiner's fire. We spent a lot of time talking to people on the streets through the winter. It was amazing. The members are solid and I know that city is just going to blossom one day in the near future.

In my 6th tranfer, I  got to open up Como to the sisters again...while also training the amazing Sorella MCCANN!!! Who, most of you know or have heard about. I ADORE Como. If you have served there, you know what I mean. They had divided the ward when I got there, so we spent a lot of time trying to contact the less actives in the new ward boundaries. THEN, we were able to prepare some wonderful people for baptism. I left after two tranfers, and Sorella McCann is training there right now. Yep, she is amazing! Just like Nonno Jeff. :) That place is the most loving city. I had never seen so many miracles like I did there!! Well, until I arrived in my next, and current, city.

I am now in Verona (8th out of 11 transfers) and loving it. I am serving with Sorella Gomez (maybe you know her?). She is in her 11th transfer. I had forgotten how it is to be with someone older in the mission! Anyway, we are sister training leaders for the zones of Mestre and Verona. We are learning so much from all the new sorelle. You are all so lucky to get to work with these amazing, prepared, young missionaries!!! They are so strong. 


I don't really know what else to say. I think my idea of a mission has changed so much over this past year. I have seen and felt the converting power of the gospel in the lives of our investigators, and also in mine. I remember thinking that we were supposed to give, give, give on the mission without taking anything in return. But oh, how I was wrong. The mission gives YOU more than you could ever give back. I don't know if you have heard about GEMs. aka Grow Every Missionary. It basically means that as you give love, it comes back around. And, it really does. It is a lifelong pursuit. Growing others around you is NEVER a waste of time. It pays off. Maybe not the way you thought, but for sure the way you needed. The Book of Mormon is SO TRUE. And it really does convert people!! Well, I mean, the spirit does. Comunque... I have never been so grateful to be a member of this church as I am now. It just makes sense. I LOVE seeing someone when they get it. Their eyes change, the way they hold themselves changes, and they glow. There are so many miracles here in Italy! I love it here. I never want to leave. 

Alright, there is my one year update. Thank you for the help you all gave us in the MTC. I am serving close to Sorella Beutler and Pearce right now, and we usually talk about how amazing our MTC experience was when we're together. So yeah, thanks to you all. Hope all is well in Provo!!! Italy is great. Summer is just gettin' started. Why does no one warn you about the deathly humidity?!?! Ha. Oh well. It is all part of the unforgettable, life-changing experience. We wouldn't want it any other way!

e...basta.

Sorella Beus

No comments:

Post a Comment