Bake Sale 1 {W}

December 11, 2013

Dying...


I decided to share some mission terminology with you all. I guess it helps me organize my thoughts??

Mother: your trainer. Mine was Sorella Padula. She taught me more than I could handle in two short transfers. Her influence and lessons have stayed with me as I've continued to learn them throughout my whole mission. Sorella Padula is special to me. I miss her and love the fact that I was able to serve so closely with a daughter of God like her. She will never be forgotten.

Daughter: your trainee. Sorella McCann. There aren't words to explain how much I love this sister. She was full of light and love and willingness to learn. Through her, I learned that God lets you serve with someone who you knew before coming to earth. He lets you "remeet" and share experiences together that strengthen your earthly bond, so you can do missionary work together in the next life. She is definitely one of my sisters forever!

Bottle breaker: your first companion after your trainer. Sorella Eaton. She will forever be one of my favorite people on the planet. She taught me how to be a missionary, not just do missionary things. She just gets it. I will be forever grateful for her. I could add Sorella Santoro here too. She helped me have fun, while still being a missionary. I can't help but laugh when I think of all we did together.

Birthplace: the city where you started your mission. Bergamo. Oh Bergamo. There are so many thoughts associated with that city! Long, sweaty, bloody bike rides; late night strolls in the park talking to any last person who might be outside; singing in the park with the Peruvians; first Italian pizza and gelato; solid 8 hours of sleep every night; running up mountains in the deserted streets...and the list goes on.

"killing": your last companion in the mission "kills" you. I don't like that way of putting it, so we won't dwell on it...but I do have to mention that I love my last companion. She is a straight up ray of sunshine. Another sister for life.

GEM: Grow Every Missionary/LOVE YOUR COMP/make others around you better. This concept has changed my life. I am so grateful for the Wolfgramms for having taught us all how to GEM others. It changed the way I view others around me, and how I can somehow help. The more you gem something, the more you love it. It's that simple! My GEMS were: Padula, Eaton, Santoro, McCann, Gomez, Morley, Beutler, and Stephens. These women are going to change the world. They are all the cream of the crop. I felt so lucky to rub shoulders with these GEMs!

Sword: Book of Mormon. Leaving your apartment without a Book of Mormon is like going into battle without a weapon. The Book of Mormon has been my saving grace. I adore the Book of Mormon. Throughout my whole mission, I felt the converting powers of the Book of Mormon in my life, but also those of everyone around me. I have to thank my dear Sorella Eaton for having sparked in me a desire to study, with real intent, every form of scripture. I think I could add the Bible to this category (sword). For the first time in my life, I was able to really study the Bible and gain a greater appreciation for it. It too has become a saving grace of mine. I love the effect of a scriptural passage in a lesson or every day conversation. It changes everything. I am grateful for my "swords" of the mission. 

Trunky: the attitude you get when you are going home. Sorella Gomez and I couldn't really figure out what it means. It changes from person to person. But, from general consensus, we decided that being trunky is using the word "trunky" to describe yourself. Yeah, I don't have any other explanation.

Dying: going home. 

You know?? I can honestly say that I thought I was going to die in my first two transfers. I didn't think I would make it this far. I am 'dying' being completely overwhelmed with love and gratitude for every single thing this 18 months has brought me. I have tasted rejection hundreds, maybe even thousands of times. And it wasn't that painful! I found out that where I opened last year at this time (Florence) has now had 4 baptisms, all in 1 transfer. how INCREDIBLE is that?!?!? I have been put in all the right cities. I needed those cities, and they needed me. Most of the time, I had no idea why, but things just work out in the end. It's all good! I feel so lucky to have served here in Milan Italy. This country is beyond beautiful. It has some of the most incredible people I have ever met. I can't wait to share my experience with you. It might take a while, but hey, we've got time. :) I am so excited to "holdju" every one of you!!! I have missed you. Thank you for the love and support. 

I know that God lives. I know that Christ lives. I pray that you can all see their hands in every step of your life. I hope that you will take some time to be grateful and enjoy every moment of this precious time we have been given. We are beyond blessed. I pray that as you come home this Christmas, you will share the wonderful message of the restored gospel with someone in need...whether it be in the airport or on the plane, I hope you can bear testimony of the light you have received. That is what it is all about, right?? I know that God will give you the opportunity if you truly want it. 

Well, for now, I think that is it. :) Before you know it, we'll be catching up in person! I love you all!!!!!!

Love,
Sorella Beus

1 comment: